Saturday, April 2, 2011

Heirloom Tomatoes

Heirloom Tomato: An heirloom tomato (also called heritage tomato in the UK) is an open-pollinated(non-hybrid) heirloom cultivar of tomato. Heirloom tomatoes have become increasingly popular and more readily available in recent years.


Heirloom tomato cultivars can be found in a wide variety of colors, shapes, flavors and sizes. Some cultivars can be prone to cracking or lack of disease resistance. As with most garden plants, cultivars can be acclimated over several gardening seasons to thrive in a geographical location through careful selection and seed saving.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_tomato


As I was buying tomatoes for my garden this year, I saw lots of different varieties of tomatoes. I picked out several varieties such as Plum and Beefsteak tomatoes and then heirloom tomatoes that came in yellow and purple. I had always heard of heirloom tomatoes, mostly on Food Network or Martha Stewart, so I thought they must be special, but  really didn't know why they were different than "regular" tomatoes. Now I understand and I am really looking forward to watching my plants grow and produce delicious tomatoes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment